Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Little Sunshine Goes A Long Way

~January 6, 2014~

After a good nights sleep in my new home, a warm shower, and some McCafe from the main train station, Sam and I began the daunting task of tackling the metro. After a little observation we got the hang of it! First stop was to my future apartment building. After getting off the metro, it was a long walk later before we found ourselves in front of a beautiful older apartment building and I felt as if I was standing in an old movie set. Sandwiched in between other apartment buildings with coffee shops and restaurants on the ground level; was my future home. It had beautiful wrought iron and as I stood in front of the glass entry, I found myself staring at a white marble entryway and white marble stairs. I got major butterflies. I had not even seen my apartment yet and I knew I was going to love where I lived. It seemed like the perfect place to live out my Spanish fairy tale.
We only got a little lost on the metro
From there, we proceeded to find a couple of the plazas where I would be meeting my program coordinators over the next couple of days. It was quite a bit of walking. We could have used the metro but we enjoyed being outside in the fresh air with the sun shining down on us. After getting oriented at the two plazas, we decided to go check Sam into his hostel and plan the rest of the afternoon. It was decided that we would walk down Las Ramblas, a very famous strip of markets and such that leads down to the Marina. Las Ramblas…flower vendors, souvenir tents, handmade arts and crafts, street performers, restaurants…a plethora of smell, taste and culture on one cobblestone street slanting downward gradually leading you to the water. The marina is the vast expanse of piers and with huge sailboat masts – just about as far as the eye could see. It was absolutely astounding how much hustle and bustle there was. The sun was shining and it was warm and bright and the sky was so so blue…
Where I fell in love with the city

The marina was mesmerizing to me. Staring out over the water I realized that this was going to be my home for the next few months, and I felt genuinely happy about it. Actually I couldn’t stop smiling – there was a new bounce in my step and butterflies (the good kind) in my stomach.

Sam and I decided to try and do an early dinner (about 5:00 – which is an absurd concept to Spaniards) so now we just had to find a suitable place. We settled on one that had ‘patio seating’ (meaning a tented area with heaters underneath – very very common in Spain) midway up Las Ramblas. I ordered a Sangria and Sole while Sam ordered a Grande Cerveza and Paella. It was the first real meal we had had in days and it was a wonderful way to end the day. 

Peace, Love & Happiness,

Nicole
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment