Tuesday, January 14, 2014

White Girl Problems Edition I (Because I have a good feeling there will be more)

~January 8, 2014~

A few quirky things I quickly came to realize about the apartment/my room while trying to catch some shut eye during my first night. #1 My room is EXTREMELY cold #2 When the metro passes underneath the building the floor shakes and #3 Walls and paper thin here. I am sure there will be more surprises as my experience continues. Needless to say, I needed some caffeine and food pronto before the morning academic meeting. Luckily there was a Starbucks (don’t judge my inner white girl) right on the corner of the designated meeting spot so I got a Chai Tea Latte with a shot of espresso. Nice kick start and I finally started to warm my core temp up too. The meetings covered academics, housing, and the cultural excursions that were planned. In the afternoon, there was a city bus tour organized for us that lasted for a couple hours. We drove around Barcelona through several different areas and then up to the top of Montjuic. The views were incredible and the tour made me that much more interested and excited to go exploring on my own.

View of the city from Montjuic

View of the magnificent port from Montjuic
At the end of my ‘school day,’ I met Sam for dinner right up the street from my apartment. We got a few different things to try: a tapas sampler (patatas bravas, king prawns, croquettes, and prosciutto) as well as paella, and veal with parmesan. Patatas bravas are a very popular item here – they are lightly fried potatoes with a spicy cream sauce. Prawns are very common being on the sea, but they always come fully dressed aka eyeballs, legs, the whole shebang. Croquettes are little fried balls of shredded chicken more or less. Prosciutto is well prosciutto. Spain, particularly the coastal region is best known for paella. It originates from Valencia and consists of rice with saffron and meat or seafood and vegetables. The veal parmesan was delicious but not what we expected. The thinly sliced pieces of meat were raw or possibly cured (hard to tell and difficult to ask given the language barrier). Nonetheless, it was good and we tried something new. We were absolutely stuffed and stayed at the restaurant for several hours just relaxing. 

Peace, Love & Happiness,

Nicole 
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment