Tuesday, January 14, 2014

It’s All A Blur

~January 3-5, 2014~

Buenos from Barcelona! So I have just (rather successfully I might add) experienced my first two days in this magical city; but let’s rewind too many hours ago and recap beginning with January 3rd.

Friday, January 3rd…yes, it was my last full day in my home country. Reality hitting, overwhelming stress commencing, and emotions flowing – that pretty much sums up the day – and on top of that, everything that could go wrong, did indeed go wrong. Surprise, surprise; I know. Health insurance provider creating an overwhelming bureaucracy and ultimately denying your request for a 5 month supply of prescription meds. This result after calling ahead 2 weeks, asking for the specific procedure to accomplish this acquisition of medication, and then following their specific instructions. Add to that waiting on hold every time I make a call for assistance/information, getting the worlds slowest checkers at every check-out, and ultimately getting devastating news about your neighbors health (surrogate grandfather) etc. etc. I feel like that is always the way it goes. I know everyone has had one of these days and can relate to my level of pain and frustration.   

To top off the exhaustion from the hectic day, after Sam was dropped off (my trustee travel partner for the first several days I am in Spain), I proceeded to finish my last minute packing that ultimately required I pull an all-nighter (not all that difficult since the departure time was 7 am out of SFO).

At 1 am I proceed to enjoy my obligatory shower (wake-up call), threw my stuff in the car, and tried to let the nagging feeling of forgetting important things go as we drove down the driveway. I slept pretty much the whole way to the airport and looked all refreshed and rejuvenated upon arrival [NOT]! Bloodshot and baggy eyes, uncombed hair, and lovely pillow scars from sleeping against the car window was how I was going to start my journey. Oh and that extra $100 for checking a second bag was the final insult. What happened to the good ol’ days of checking two bags free with an international flight??


Ready or not - Here I come!

I swear I know what I'm doing

My two greatest role models and teachers
Soon after checking in, we headed for the dreaded security check. Security was a hoot since my parents were going back and forth along the barricade with us waving, taking pictures, and blowing kisses at every turn or when there was a gap between people’s heads. Of course I did it back! 

Slept pretty much the whole long, cold flight from SFO to JFK with little intermissions to take part in the beverage service or relieve my bladder. Flying into New York was breathtaking! I had really been stressing that we would be stuck there with all the recent severe weather on the news. Instead, it was a beautiful blue sky with scattered wispy clouds and bright sun beaming down on a blanket of fresh white snow everywhere. I don’t know how to describe it, but it almost made me want to just stay there instead of getting on another plane.

Next flight from JFK to BCN included more poor quality sleep and restless legs intermixed with the movie ‘Wolverine’ and 2 Gluten Free ‘meals.’  When we landed in Barcelona, it was 6:30 am local time and still pitch black outside. We probably looked like zombies trudging to the baggage claim area but Hallelujah. We. Had. Arrived.  Surprisingly, so had our luggage.

We regrouped in the airport until the sun came up, then grabbed a taxi and headed for the hotel. The goal was to see if the hotel would hold our luggage for us until we could check in; instead they let us check in at 8:00 am! Wow, must be karma. I don’t know what I did to deserve that but I promise I will try each and every day to be a better person!

I took a much needed shower, a little catnap, and then ventured out (mind you, it’s still only 10 am). There was a beautiful park right next door so we headed that direction and continued with the intention of braving the city. I really had no idea where I was going, my sense of direction was seriously lacking given my level of sleep deprivation, so we just walked and walked and walked for several hours trying to get a feel for this beautiful city. I feared if I sat down I would fall asleep where I sat until the next day.
Little gem we stumbled upon right outside the hotel.
Who would'a thought I was in the heart of a big city?

As many of you may know, I am known for having a much delayed reaction to big events. So walking along the streets, getting a lot of weird looks, realizing this was going to be my home for the next 5 months and I wasn’t going to see my family for the same amount of time really started to hit me. It was an overcast day and my mood matched it perfectly. While taking another little nap in the hotel that afternoon, we realized the commotion we could hear out on the street was from a Christmas parade street directly below us. So we layered up and ran down to check it out. There was also a carnival right by the park next to the hotel with so many lights and sounds – for a moment I thought my little tired head might explode! We wandered around the same streets again, this time all the Holiday lights along the street were lit and there was a small market nearby. I finally messaged home for a bit (realizing how homesick I was) then allowed myself some real sleep. First real sleep in 36 hours! 

Peace, Love & Happiness,

Nicole
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment